History of St Peter’s
By 1928 Bribie was a popular seaside resort with a permanent community of around 200 with a State school, post office and telephone facilities, a community hall, bowling green and tennis courts. Meals were provided in large dining rooms at the Jetty and the Kiosk at Woorim. People could either rent cottages or one of the 12 Apostles holiday huts, stay at boarding-houses or just camp along the foreshore. When the Steamships arrived the population swelled significantly, particularly during the holiday periods when people flocked to Bribie to enjoy a seaside holiday. Provisions could be obtained at grocery and butcher shops along Toorbul Street.
Though religious services were held regularly in the Tug Company owned Dance Hall, the decision to build a church was initiated in 1926 by the Reverend C. Mills, rector of Caboolture. Bribie residents, in particular the Shirley, Davies, Coungeau and McPherson families, commenced fund raising.
In April 1927, fifty-nine pounds, five shillings and seven pence was handed to the building committee and on April 21 an announcement was made in the Humpybong Weekly that Bribie residents intended to build a church to be known as St. Peters. By August 1928 with over 200 pounds held by the building committee the Diocesan Council authorised a loan of 200 pounds for the purpose of building a church hall in Foster Street, Bongaree. An overdraft of 250 pounds had also been obtained from the Queensland National Bank. In October, tenders were called for the construction of the Hall and by early December, the contractor, Mr. G.F. Carlson, was finishing the fitout of the Hall.
On Thursday, December 27 1928 the Archbishop of Brisbane, Dr Gerald Sharp, assisted by Minor Canon H.D. Campbell with the Rev. A. W. King (Redcliffe) presiding at the organ, preached a short sermon from Hebrews 25-10 and congratulated the people who had had the energy and the ability to erect the hall which he dedicated to be a house of prayer.
The Hall was modelled on the Ekibin and Holland Park church halls and the dimensions were noted as 70ft by 41 ft. Steps led up to the chancel and altar which could be hidden behind sliding doors when not required. At the end of the room a stage was erected and an organ and pianola installed. The Hall was valued at 1200 pounds. It was noted that the early work of levelling of the ground and a considerable amount of other work was done by voluntary labour.
In September 1931 St Peter’s Bribie Island was handed over to the supervision of the Anglican Church Mission and the Rev. W.P.B. Miles promised to supply regular services monthly.
On October 24, 1931 a handsome silky oak altar and hangings, the gift of Mr. and Mrs. Coungeau, of Bribie, an altar cross and lights from Rev. W.P.B. Miles and a lectern from St Matthews, Holland Park was dedicated by Rev Miles that evening.
Eventually, St Peter’s returned to be under the care of the Parish of Caboolture.
In 1974 St Peter’s was refurbished and reoriented before being rededicated by Archbishop Arnott on the May 5, 1974.
When Bribie Island and the surrounding areas were separated from Caboolture parish in 1989 to form the Parish of Bribie Island, there were plans to build a new church to meet the growing needs of the community. A fundraising campaign was launched in March 1998, resulting in the first sod for the new building being turned in October 2007. The building was completed and on the 2nd May, 2008, the keys were handed over to the parish. The new Church of St Peter, Apostle and Martyr, was dedicated by Archbishop Aspinall on May 24, 2008.
Thanks to generous giving and a variety of fundraising activities, St Peter’s became debt free at the end of 2015. This allowed for the church to be consecrated by Archbishop Aspinall on November 5, 2016.